The Surfaid Cup Malibu is a surfing competition to raise funds for Surfaid. Surfaid is a non-profit humanitarian organization whose aim is to improve the health, wellbeing and self-reliance of people living in isolated regions connected to us through surfing. All funds raised go towards building stronger communities in the Mentawai, Nias, Telo and Banyak islands off the coast of Sumatra, Indonesia.
The tag-team competition will involve eight teams, each fundraising for humanitarian organization SurfAid, with a minimum of $5,000 to enter. Saturday September 8th, 2012.
– Five surfers per team: includes one pro/sponsored surfer. – Team order is submitted prior to the start of each heat.
– Heat schedule, times and format will be determined by final number of teams and competitors. Full details
will be provided to registered teams prior to the event.
– In relay style, each surfer is to catch a series of waves (#TBC) and return to the tag area.
– Every surfer’s second wave is worth double points.
– You will need to recruit four (4) surfers to make up a team.
– The top fundraising teams get to choose their pro surfer in order of the team’s fundraising results.
– Each team must raise a minimum of $5,000 to compete.
– To collect sponsor donations, your team will first contact SurfAid to sign up. You will then be provided with a StayClassy Team fundraising page where you may promote your participation via email and social media, and accept donations online. Offline (cash) donations can be credited to your team by contacting SurfAid. – Trophies will be presented to the winning team and fundraisers at the presentation ceremony after the event.
As a competitor, you will receive:
– VIP pass to the MSA Classic.
– Official event T-shirt, souvenir and shwag bag.
– DVD of SurfAid Cup Malibu event highlights.
– Invitation to the event presentation ceremony in VIP area following the finals, including food and beverages.
INDIVIDUAL AND TEAM FUNDRAISING PAGES
After you register your team with SurfAid, the Team Captain will receive an access link for the Team Fundraising Page, and all team members will receive an access link for each person’s Individual Fundraising Page.
Your Individual and Team Fundraising Pages are special, customizable websites where you can share your efforts with your family, friends and colleagues and accept online donations. Your Team Fundraising Page will show how much you’ve raised collectively, and your Individual Fundraising Page will show how much you, individually, have raised. You’ll also be able to see competing teams’ pages and how much they have raised.
Using your Fundraising Pages, you can quickly and easily share your efforts via email and social media, and anyone will be able to make a donation and leave a message to support your fundraising. Donations are automatically processed and added to your Individual and Team totals. Offline donations can be credited to your Individual and Team Pages by contacting SurfAid.
SurfAid is here to help if you need any assistance using or customizing your page.
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR TEAM
STEP 1: Contact SurfAid to register your team: P: 760-753-1103 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP 2: The Team Captain will receive an access link for the Team Fundraising Page via email. The Team Fundraising page can then be customized for your team.
STEP 3: You will receive an access link for their Personal Fundraising page via email. You will then be able to customize your Individual Fundraising Page.
STEP 4: Kick off your fundraising!
1. Start promoting your page to your family, friends and colleagues directly from your StayClassy Fundraising Page via the email and social media buttons.
2. You must raise $5,000 as a team in order to partici- pate in the competition.
3. Ask your company to match a donation amount or your team’s initial donation.
4. Selection of pro surfers – teams will get to choose from the list of pros based on their fundraising results, in that order. Results will be calculated the day before the event, and selection will occur in the opening ceremony. Some of the pros surfing are listed in the image below.
5. Don’t stop fundraising after you meet the minimum entrance amount. Being the top fundraising team gives you first choice of pro surfer for your team.